Friday 16 May 2008

Cloning/Multiplicity

Many photographers, since well before the invention of digital photography, have used the technique of multiple exposures to layer two photographs over each other to create a new image. Now the digital evolution of this technique means images can be produced with 2 or more figures of the same person, which is what I have experimented with in this part of my project.


These images are by a young photographer who calls her self Miss Aniela. She bases most of her photography on ‘Multiplicity’ or ‘Cloning’ shots and they are all self-portraits. These are just two of about 100 images she has upload to Flickr and her home page, http://missaniela.com/. The photograph in which she is climbing on the kitchen work surfaces is what most closely influenced my cloning attempt below.

The first two images here were produced for the tasks at the beginning of this module; I have included them again here as I continued to look at the technique.


For this image I tried to stick to the technique that most closely resembles double exposure. Using a tripod I photographed the model in two places within the shot and then layered them upon each other in Photoshop and changed the opacity of the two layers. I used only the available light here and I struggled to create the bold image I wanted to.Leaving the double exposure method of layering the two photographs over each other, with this image I selected one of the figures and copied and pasted it as a new layer on top of the photograph containing the other figure. At the back of the photograph, a big open textbook is visible on the desk whilst Microsoft Word is open on the computer, with this photograph I was trying to portray procrastination from work. The model is looking at a book and doing her make up. One of the figures is transparent, I decided to do this to show the passage of time, a technique sometimes used in films. With this image I have used the cloning or multiplicity technique to present the model as the same character twice within the same image but at different times, not, as it is sometimes used, to show the same model as clones or different characters.
I am not entirely pleased with this photograph, after editing the photograph a number of times and in different ways, I still find the colours bland and uninteresting. With such a limiting space and with only the room’s lighting available the photograph has come out looking unprofessional. Below I have included a video of some of the photos taken to create this image, it reflects how this method is often used in film to show time passing.






For this image I continued to look both at the passage of time and work. My first year at university is nearly over and to me it feels like its been no time at all. The year has flown by in a flurry of work and fun. This image is to demonstrate this. I have used a model in this image but it is supposed to reflect me – my work and my year.
To create this image I have positioned the camera on a tripod above the workspace. The model is copying an essay I wrote for our critical studies module on documentary photography with the prop of Graham Clarke’s book, ‘The Photograph’ to demonstrate the subject of the essay and to relate the photograph back to my work. I took lots of photographs throughout the writing of the essay and finally just used 3, with the position of that hand in different places on the page. In order to create this image it was vital that the book and all the other props were constant and didn’t move and the only thing that did move was the models arm. Ensuring this allowed me to layer the three photographs over each other and not have to cut out each arm separately. I changed the opacity of each layer, choosing to have the hand that is writing the beginning of the essay strongest to show that I wished I were back at the beginning of the year. When I was happy with the image I flattened the layers. applied a lightening effect and changed the colours slightly.
Below is another flipbook video showing the photographs I took for this image. Creating these flipbook videos has inspired me to look further into the effect of presenting multiple photographs together, however, not having time in the module I will have to look at it in further work, perhaps doing a full project on it, as it is such a wide subject.







With this multiplicity image I have dropped the idea of the passage of time instead presenting each figure as a different person. The model is presenting different characters through her use of different poses and interacting with ‘herself’. I chose to use quite a wide depth of field, focusing on the figure in the foreground, in hindsight this may not have been a brilliant idea as two of the figures are looking at the figure in at the back, the most out of focus figure, this ambiguity of where the viewer should focus causes some confusion and might be seen to detract from the overall image.
To achieve this image I used the photograph containing the foreground figure as the base layer, I then selected the other figures and copied and pasted them as separate layers on top of the base layer. I used the technique I mentioned earlier of selecting the parameter of each figure and blurring it using a Gaussian blur to blend the layers together. I then also applied a flash light lighting effect and I added a hint of blue to enhance the blue in the model’s t-shirt and the banisters. I am very pleased with this image, it has ended up looking exactly as i had intended.
-I am not sure why, but once uploaded to blogger this image looks very different, much lighter with less contrasts, please look at the printed version of this photograph.

No comments: